31 October, 2010

Happy Halloween!




I wanted to grow my very own Halloween pumpkin and it all started really well... The seed germinated and the seedling was pampered indoors. It was then moved to the cold greenhouse and eventually planted in the raised bed with lots of manure. In no time at all, the foliage was taking over the bed and I could see tiny round things popping up everywhere. I had to chop most of these baby pumpkins off to give the selected few a chance to mature, and not long after this they suffered a major slug attack. I was left with some very lacy leaves and one measly pumpkin. It's tiny and there's not much to eat, but I'm sure the chickens will appreciate it.

Happy Halloween!



1 comment:

  1. I grew some mini pumpkins last year called Hooligan. They were really tiny but we still managed to carve them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a message! :)