05 November, 2010

Crouching Bella


I went to give the girls their afternoon snack and as I was putting the bowl in the run, Bella crouched and stayed down so that I could stroke her back. She's done this twice now and it's a very good sign (along with the before mentioned reddening head gear) that she might lay her first egg soon. I could see that she wasn't sure what was happening, she just found herself instinctively crouching and couldn't help but stay down until I pulled my hand away.

I think Cissy is slowly maturing as well, I'm sure her tiny comb and wattles look a little bit pinker every day. Still, I wouldn't expect an egg any time soon, as it seems these things can take a bit of time. Quite frankly, I'm not really bothered if the chooks are a bit younger than I originally thought or if it takes them a bit longer to lay. I'm just enjoying having them and happy to finally experience all these things first hand.

The girls will have an early night tonight. I will be following the advice of some more experienced chicken keepers and locking them in the coop a bit earlier, well before the fireworks start. That way the chooks will be sleeping and totally unaware of what's going on, I hope. I might still worry a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Hope they were ok. Archie, my puppy, was really good. It seems the fireworks didn't faze him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry too much, they will be fine and totally unaware of the fireworks once asleep.

    I have to confess, in my first year of hen keeping I brought them indoors for a few nights over bonfire weekend!!

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What breed are your chickens, they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarybex - Bella is a Bluebelle and Cissy is a Speckledy. They're both hybrids, so should be good layers, but I have to confess that I picked them for their looks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a message! :)