07 October, 2010

The first day


We managed to get them in the run without problems and I spent the next few hours sitting in the sunny garden, watching the chooks and going in only to make a cup of tea or a sandwich. Hound took the presence of these invaders quite well, only jumping up from his sun bed when they were getting particularly noisy or flappy.

I was getting quite nervous as it got darker, as I wasn't sure how we were going to get them in the coop for the night. Bella had already checked the coop out on several occasions during the day, but I was sure poor Cissy didn't have a clue what that red plastic thing was for. Well, I was wrong. After watching them try to roost on the handle of the flexitub (a.k.a dustbath), Hubby proudly announced that it was HIS chicken who found her way to the coop first. We watched them then trying to decide between the tub handle (too bendy) and the coop (no high perches), one chicken going in while the other was already out for a good ten minutes. Eventually both of the chooks managed to stay in the coop long enough for me to tiptoe in the garden and close the hatch. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a message! :)