16 December, 2010

Two hens a laying!


Cissy's first egg on the left, Bella's 31st on the right.

Chickens don't like cold and wet, and since it might get a bit colder again tonight, I wanted to make sure the coop was clean and dry. After emptying the poo tray in the compost I put some fresh bedding in the nest and went in for a cup of tea. What I didn't realise was that I had left the coop door shut. When I looked outside I saw both of the chickens by the dustbath, realised my blunder and went out to open the coop door. I had a quick look in the run and spotted something in the dustbath. It was a little brown egg!


I had already collected Bella's egg in the morning and poor Cissy must have been desperate to try to get in the nest, then given up and settled for the second best option. I can't believe both of my little chooks are laying. There will definitely be some egg boxes going in the Christmas hampers now!

And just when my mother was beginning to suspect that we might have been sold a cockerel!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, well done Cissy. You won't know what to do with all the eggs you'll be getting now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a little star! I'm sure the neighbours will be more than happy to help us with the egg glut. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a message! :)