28 October, 2010

The worming begins


Today's the day I start worming my girls. As I said, they seem fine, but the common practise seems to be to worm chickens at least twice a year, especially if they are allowed to free-range as they might pick up all sorts of things while pecking the ground. I doubt mine have been wormed (was much too giddy to ask), so I decided to go for it, just to be on the safe side.

As soon as I woke up I went out to get the chicken feed and measured 2 kg of pellets with our not so reliable scales. I put a small amount in a big bowl, mixed it in with a level scoop of the worming stuff, Flubenvet, added the rest of the measured pellets and gave the lot a good mix.

It's still dark, but soon I'll go and let the chooks out and give them their medicated pellets for breakfast... The exact same meal they're going to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next six days. I shouldn't give them any treats while they're being wormed to make sure it's effective, I must resist!

Hope it works!

2 comments:

  1. Hope they eat it better than my puppy ate his worming tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They seem to be eating just fine!

    When we got our rescue dog we used to let him catch dog biscuits and he was so greedy that he'd take the worming tablet the same way. Now that he's been spoiled rotten and we have to hide the tablets in a piece of ham! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a message! :)